Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Beginning the Journey

                                         

  This will be a blog of my big adventure of moving to Mexico. I started the big move last November when I flew three of my animals down, two older cats and one doberman. Two more dogs would be driven down later. I stressed over this flight for months. Making sure everything was in order, inoculations, health certificates, food, kitty litter, litter box. I was a wreck. We were moving to a small town, up in the mountains, some of the animal things I needed wouldn't be available there. Two friends got me to the airport and helped me check in the animals. Another thing that weighed heavily on my mind was making sure they all got reservations. This particular airline only accepts three animals per flight, first come, first served. All I needed was for someone to show up first and all of my three couldn't go, so I had to have a back up plan. And that would be............ take next available flight and they only fly out once a day. I decided to get to the airport five hours early! Of course no one else showed up with animals. I would have felt bad for them if they showed up after me and even worse if I was after them.
All proceeded well, sort of, they let me check the animals in early. I had the doors cable tied for extra security but I had to cut the cables, they wanted to look at the them. After the check I was told I could cable the doors again. I did bring extra "just in case". By this time I am exhausted! The airline people then said to go down to TSA with all of animals. Now mind you.....You could not walk off and leave any of your things. Signs all over the place. Three crates, computer bag, on board suitcase and under seat bag.How do ya do that?? The airline people finally said they would watch my things. Ok, great, now can I get a Skycap with some wheels? Nope. Only certain airlines have them and this wasn't one of them. Carrying the cats in their crates wasn't too bad but keep in mind I was exhausted after getting everyone to this point. Now the dobe, she was not allowed to walk, must be kept in crate. No where for two people to hold and carry the crate so we had to drag her. TSA was about a block away. I felt really sorry for her, if only I could explain.
Now we are at the TSA station. "Ma'am, remove the animals from the crates." "No, you're kidding me, they said over there that I didn't have to open the crates again." "Ma'am, we have to inspect the animals." One by one the animals were brought out of their crates and inspected. All bedding, which was shredded newspaper, their bodies and under the dogs collar. I was worried about the cats, they had never been through anything like this. I could picture them running away across the terminal. My stress level is climbing. But everyone was good and acted calm.Me? Not me. Now I only hope I have more ties, thank goodness I do.
Things are looking better. I'm free of crates, just heavy bags to schlep around but I can manage. Now my friend that was helping me here can go home while I sit down, rest and wait for my other friend that is flying with me. I am totally pooped but at least it's half done.B

1 comment:

  1. Nancy I feel your pain...I have flown my animals all over the world and I am always a wreck. I didn't realize you have been in Mexico for 3 years?

    ReplyDelete